Y end stop micro switch

When the Z axis hits the microswitch, it grinds, stops and I get an error message. Is there a way to fix/adjust this? Brand new machine

Z is usually the up and down direction of 3d printers. I don’t want to assume, but I suspect your crashing on the gantry microswitch or the one attached to the frame on the back right corner. Knowing which one would be helpful.

I would try the following to diagnose if the microswitch is even working.

1. Check that it is plugged in correctly.
  2. With the printer off and unplugged from the wall. Manually jog the extruder/hotend to the front left corner of the frame.
  3. Turn the printer on.
  4. Locate the microswitch and get ready to press it with your finger.
  5. “Home” the printer, but press the microswitch before the gantry or the extruder (depending on which axis) reaches the microswitch.

If it stops moving in that axis, your microswitch/endstop is working correctly, and the problem is physical in nature (ie: the print head is crashing before the endstop is depressed fully).
If the printer continued moving in that axis after the endstop is pressed, you likely have a bad connection somewhere (you could open the board enclosure and make sure you’re not disconnected there) or a broken or frayed wire. If this is the case, see if you can get a replacement or exchange.