SV06 Mainboard brick after updating Sovol Firmware

I have tried rebooting firmware many times. Cleared the disk (8 gig), changed disks, renamed the file etc etc etc. Still have the locked boot screen.

Hello, I have same problem but I can’t get any connection to the printer via USB. I used the delivered 8 GB SD card and formated it again several times, renamed the files but nothing works. The screen stays blue.

I have since found out that some virus scanners and Windows combinations somehow damage or change the way the .bin file is written to the SD card. If I write the .bin file to the SD card with my Mac, every firmware update works.

Thank you so much for your resolution to this problem. It worked great for me. :melting_face:

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem according to Melthor.

After updating sovols firmware SV06-v192A-1028-1.3.bin the printer starts with a bluescreen and seems bricked.

I used the original 8gb TF-Card, fresh formatted (not fast) FAT32 which contains only the bin file.

Tried again, after printer was disconnected from power socket for a about one hour. Same result.
Also tried renaming the flashfile to “firmware.bin”.

Connection to pronterface shows the same issue: Update failed, No SD/TF-Card or Error.

I’m very unhappy with this!

Solved!

I spend nearly the whole day with my bricked SV06 following all the tips in this forum.

Tried a Live-Linux distribution on a stick, without any affect.
Because windows seems not able to handle those tf-cars.

I’ve been despaired and in this mood I changed the firmware-file-properties executable.

now it works! :slight_smile:

I hope it helps others too.

1 Like

For all those who have little or no knowledge of PC use, could you please describe it in more detail.

Thanks!

yes, of course!
This was my way, step by step…

1. Downloading a Live-Linux Distribution like Lubuntu.
  2. Write Image to USB-Stick or DVD.
  3. Reboot your PC and open your Boot-Menue.
    Mostly with the keys F8, F10, F11, F12 or delete.
    Select your Bootdevice (DVD-Rom) and boot from the inserted Live-Linux-Disk.
  4. Insert 8GB TF-Card and format it with FAT32 with KDE Partition-Manager
  5. Open Webbrowser and download Firmware from Sovol
  6. Save Firmware on TF-Card.
  7. right-click on SV06-v192A-1028-1.3.bin choose rename and rename it to firmware.bin
  8. right-click on firmware.bin and choose properties
  9. choose Permissions
  10. mark the box with Make the file executable
  11. click the ok-button
  12. right-click on the tf-card and choose eject
  13. insert TF-Card in your powered-off printer.
  14. switch it on.

Maybe this way is very tortuous, or there are many unnecessary steps but it worked with my printer.

Please apologize my english, mein hessisch ist deutlich besser :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s possible to make executable file on FAT32 partition. It does not support file permissions. But renaming it to firmware.bin was fixed issue for me. Thank you!

Maybe it was coincidence that it works.
Tried renaming the file before without any effect.

It doesn’t matter how, but as long as we help each other in some way, we’ll make progress together. Anyway, thank you for your experiences. I finally managed to update the firmware after flashing it to the SD card from my Mac. Because Windows and my antivirus had blocked something. Thank you all very much for your experience and effort in solving the problem!

For future reference: I had the same problem, where my machine was bricked while trying to flash the firmware. In my case I discovered 2 things:

1. Make sure you check your SD cards, to be certain they’re still good; many folks have had <8GB SD cards sitting around for years gathering dust. Mine were working intermittently; they would sometimes seem OK but would randomly stop working. I ended up using the card that came with the SV06, which worked well.

2. I flashed multiple different times, and I noticed that if you flash more than once, Marlin doesn’t seem to allow you to flash it unless the file you’re currently flashing has a different filename than the one previously flashed.

So if you flash a file called firmware.bin, and you flash again after that, you should name it something else, like firmware2.bin. However, you can alternate between names,Very bizarre.

Anyway, after figuring out these 2 things, I’ve been able to re-flash consistently.

If you’re having problems, it might be worth it to try renaming the file something completely random that you haven’t tried before.

I have now installed th3d unified marlin firmware on the SV06.
This is MarlinFW 2.1.2
has the advantage that long file names are now possible with Octoprint.

Kannst du vielleicht verraten, wo du das SKR E3 Mini V3 für 50€ gefunden hast ? :slight_smile:

I tried every single method described in this forum, even several file names and TF cards <8GB. i’d really appreciate if you could simply reissue a new mainboard for me

Amazon
bei BIGTREETECH SKR MINI E3 V3.0 32 Bit Control Board for Ender 3/Ender 3 | Biqu Equipment gibts das auch

1 Like

I also got a new Board from the Support. With the new one, all works fine.

Kannst du die Firmware irgendwie zur Verfügung stellen? Per Link auf onedrive oder ähnliches? Habe keinen Zugriff auf Facebook und möchte ungern extra dafür einen ACC erstellen

Aufgrund vieler Anfeindungen und den blöden Kommetaren wurden die Custom Firmware von Michael Hill und Roey Game eingestellt.
Für das Original Board gibts noch die TH3D zum selber kompilieren : Sovol SV06 Firmware - TH3D Studio Help Center

oder die SKR E3 V3 von Rory Game:

Alles klar, vielen Dank für die Info!