SOLVED: Mainboard Bricked; where to measure voltage for replacment stepper drivers?

After 3 days of fruitless attempts to get the optional Klipper screen installed on my SV06 Plus printer, I have managed to brick the main board.

While the new screen started up and ran fine, even connecting to my WiFi on the first attempt, I could never get it to communicate via the USB port back to the main board. I tried a bucket full of cables, even stealing my webcam cable to try it, and none worked.

Tried contacting Sovol via their email address and they did respond at first, but have since fallen radio silent when I asked for a main board replacement.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I decided to try to flash all base components with the original version of the firmware that came on the machine, but nothing helped. I did this with the new Klipper screen and USB cable disconnected and the old original screen reinstalled on the printer.

Guess those endless re-installs of firmware did something and now it simple sits there not responding, the start up screen on “Sovol”.

This happened after I tried to re-flash the main board with the original firmware “SV06 Plus main board firmware 23th Feb 2023.bin”.

In any regard, looks like I will have to replace the main board.

Long story short, when or IF I get a replacement board, I have seen a copy of the “installation instructions” which are just as useful as any Sovol document (i.e., largely useless) and it requires you to measure the voltages of the X, Y, Z and E driver output of the replacement board without illustrating where you can find these test points.

Does anyone know where they are? At least they show the regulator adjustment pots for each axis, but give no clue as to where you measure the output.

Any help appreciated…

Well, the original main board was not bricked. In searching other boards, I found that some were renaming the original firmware file from “SV06 Plus main board firmware 23th Feb 2023.bin”.to something short, so I renamed it to “fw.bin” and the darned thing went ahead and reflashed the firmware back to original. So now I am back to square one; the original system is working, but I still cannot get the Klipper screen to communicate with the main board.

This further reinforces my suspicion that the micro usb port on the main board is bad.

Sovol still has not replied.

so your mainboard is not bricket any longer ?

8 plus 3 is always a good way for bin file flashes.

i think date like 240521.bin is more suiteable to have them sorted, if you want to go forward and back in some states.

do you can connect trough the webservices ?

Hello,
I had a similar problem with my SV06+.
I could no longer use it with octoprint even though it worked perfectly with a microSD.
Sure enough, the USB port was broken.
After changing the motherboard, everything became functional again.
If you change this board, take a picture of the wiring beforehand. One of the cables is useless.

Yes, the browser interface is connecting.

The largest problem I have, perhaps, is that the usb drive sent with the Klipper screen was corrupted and I have been trying to chase down all the files that would have come on the drive.

I am not sure I am using the right firmware in the right place.

The instructions tell me to use a file from the usb named “firmware.bin”.

Maybe that is my problem; I don’t have that file and have been trying everything I can find.

Does anyone have copies they can send me?

Mich0111,

Yes, I was really irritated with Sovol, so I ordered a replacement MB on Amazon and it got here today. I installed the new board, flashed the firmware to the latest SV06 Plus standard firmware and all works fine as a stand alone system.

However, I am still getting the exact same reaction when I try to install Klipper.

As I say above, I got a corrupt USB from Sovol, so I am probably not working with the correct files.

If someone can post them somewhere or let me know where I can find an image of this drive, PLEASE let me know.

I am soooooo tired of fooling with this printer. I just want it to work…

I’m sorry for you but when I read the complaints from all the users trying to install Klipper, I didn’t even want to try

Thanks. I should have known not to start a new, complex hobby at my age.

I just want to print some film related items for my view cameras.

So, try doing it with the stock configuration (Marlin).
It’s an amazing printer in this version. But surely others will have a different opinion.

OK, after finally getting an email from Sovol with the original files that should have come on the defective thumb drive, the Klipper screen connects and runs the printer.

All it took was one 24kb firmware file that is not available anywhere on the Sovol website; at least in any form I can find.

Only problem now is Klipper thinks this is a much smaller printer and “homes” on the printer plate way off center and to the front.

EDIT: I re-installed the firmware for the Klipper Screen and made sure it was for the SV06 PLUS and that solved the problem.

Too many similar files caused confusion.

Now, it all basically seems to work as outlined in the manual. Just have to learn how to use it.

1 Like