Need help while disassembling

Can anyone help me?

It went almost perfectly fine in the beginning. I use TPU.

Then from one point filament got stuck or entangled in and outside the extruder when it started printing. I realised there was an issue because the filament wouldn’t come out after a few secs.

I called a repairman once, he helped me fix it - He said the Teflon tube was a bit ruined and the extruder seems to be having an issue with its center if that makes sense.

After he had fixed it the test run worked okay but then right after it again started to have the same issue.

In the end, the filament got stuck and It couldn’t go up or down, couldn’t be removed nor pushed downward. However, I didn’t want to pay him again to get it fixed it’s quite a lot of money. Also, I saw him fixing it and took photos of him fixing it so I was thinking I might as well want to try it my own this time checking out the video instruction from SOVOL and the photos I took.

However, the metal tube wouldn’t be removed now and I am not sure whether the center can be adjusted after fixing the nozzle, etc.

Has anyone got an idea? would appreciate it if anyone could help.

I also emailed info@sovol

Thank you so much for reading it.

p.s Thanks for your concern, I know what I’m doing guys.
I’m not discouraged at all, I just can’t read and reply to all the comments because I’m here for the solution.

You won’t need a repairman to dismantle your extruder - the allen keys needed came with your SV04. You’ll need to heat up the heatblock iot be able to unscrew heatbreak & nozzle from the heatblock using tongs. Temperature should be around 235°C - just like your TPU setting. Wearing gloves might be a good idea…
Good luck!

1 Like

What printer are you talking about?
Rgds

Hi,
I don’t know which teflon tube he is talking about.
On an SV04, there is direct extrusion.
Lokk after the SOVOL tutos to learn how to disassemble the extruder and clean the nozzle, it’s not so difficult.
Be careful with your hands, you will need to heat the hotend to take it apart.

1 Like

After it gets cleaned out, I wonder if the cause is the extrusion temperature? I would guess if the temps are not high enough, it can’t exit while still trying to extrude.

1 Like

Hello OP
(thats you sarah)

You, are a poster child for whats happened over the last 3 years.

As you are learning, there are alot of subtle layers of normally unrelated technologies rubbing shoulders.
Much more complex than a bread machine.

You watched the repairman, and ready to have a go. Confidence is good.

Sadly, here is the deal.
You got your toe in the door of a rapidly changing hobbyworld full of self taught operators coming from solid backgrounds in one or 2 of the technologies at play. You did so with one of the cheepest offerings available.

Which means while it may work as intended now, its not built with the excess capability of your stove, or car and during normal use, will have variables that cause the house of cards to topple. Happens alot to some, less so to others.

You, are clearly a nice person, so I say, you will wisely give up this hobby, and purchase 3d parts from pcbway.

Or, drop 2~4K on a unit that comes with support

Hi,

Why these discouraging comments?
It’s been less than 2 years since I immersed myself in 3D printing and by persevering we can make very pretty things.
It’s just a question of will.

2 Likes

It’s not only discouraging. If you look at it in detail it’s deeply sexist, ableist and probably some other *-ists I’m not aware of. It says: “Be a good girl, go back to the kitchen and leave complicated technology to the men”. But - it’s not so complicated at all.

I’m a lot less time on 3d printing than you, mich0111. Let me just briefly tell the story:

At the start of 2023 I retired and had way too much time, so I looked for a hobby. Because I needed some cases for microcontroller experiments I played with I decided: I need a 3D printer. So in June 2023 I bought a Creality Ender 3 Neo. It was cheap, but, to be honest: I also could have thrown my money down the drain. The usual problem with creality: sometimes you get a device that’s very fine, but most times something is broken, missing, badly adjusted, damaged… they obviously have no quality control, and their support does not care. So I tried to enhance the printer with a high temperature direct extruder, bought several spare parts aftermarket, but still - it’s slow and unreliable.

Then, in August, I stumbled over a youtube video about the Sovol SV07. I usually HATE video tutorials and such, because they are wasting easily half an hour to give me information I could have read in 3 minutes. It looked nice, so I bought it. And the first 2 or 3 weeks everything was fine. Then I started using PETG and more elaborate PLA filaments, and the struggle began. While trying to remove a clogged nozzle from the hotend I managed to rip the nozzle apart, thus ruining the hotend. 2 weeks wait for a replacement. Then I started getting problems with the extruder. Disassembled it following so videos, reassembled, worked for 2 days, again … at one point I made a mistake, and starting the extruder gave a nasty grinding sound - two of the gears were missing some teeth. Getting a new print head from Sovol was an adventure, but finally I came into contact with someone who called himself Aaron who made it possible to send/sell me a print head thatt was unavailable at their shop at that time. But: 3 to 4 weeks delay for the freight from China to Europe :frowning:

However, my wife then had promised some of her relatives that I would print stuff for them. Couldn’t, printer broken . So I bought a BambuLab P1S. If you compare prices: The Ender3 was around €200, the SV07 around €400, end the P1S around €700.

Wenn, what can I say? If I just want a good printing result, I’m using the P1S. It’s a reliable workhorse. If I want to test things and are ready to invest some hours of testing, engineering, fixing configurations and play with the linux system below the klipper, I happily use the SV07 (also if I have to print a lot of copies of a time consuming print - the SV07 is faster than the P1S if you know what to do). The Ender? It’s still around, somewhere in a box.

So, I had 2 or 3 month to learn how to disassemble a printer down to the last screw, how it’s working (or why not), including the electronics and the operating system. Ok, for the latter I had some background, I’ve worked in IT for 30 years. But I never worked with “mechanical devices” like a printer - there were repair people for that :smiley:

So, Sarah, if you’re reading this: Don’t let old and bitter chauvinists discourage you. You approach might be different that that of others, but I had a colleague (also named Sarah) as IT admin who approached problems the same way as you. It drove me mad! But finally I avoided to look at HOW she made things - the results were always successful. What I would propose: Use google to search for videos about disassembling and reassembling things, there are some very good ones around. And ofc feel free to ask here - if you can ignore what’s not worth to notice.

2 Likes

Oh, and: TPU: Starting with one of the most challenging filaments? That’s really like partaking Paris-Dakar instead of a deiver’s school :smiley:

You are right, I read this post very quickly, only seeing the negative aspect.
It’s true that the sexism in this post is distressing. I found it hard to believe that this type of writing could exist, and yet…

1 Like

For my side, I have no difficulty printing the TPU.
But it is not me who is concerned.

Mitch0111,

Ignore the naysayers. You are on the right path. I got my first printer quite a few years ago. I spent way more money on it upgrading and learning everything I could. I still have it btw, still use it, and built a Voron and a Rat rig.

TPU is a pain in the rear end. I applaud your ability to print it. As specified in the other replies you mush heat the extruder up to remove the heat block from the metal tube (that’s the heat break) it may be a wise choice to contact Sovol3d and order a couple spares along with a few nozzles (nozzles are tough but they do not last forever)
Once you have done what needs to be done, and have it back together make sure to heat the extruder up and while hot tighten the nozzle (with the nozzle heated to 190c. If you skip this step your chances of having a leak is very high…

3 Likes

I just learned something about TPU yesterday. Was printing ABS on the P1S (closed build chamber, yay!) and then tried to switch filament to TPU.
Bad Idea.
That wet noodle filament was unable to push the ABS out of the hotend at 250°C (the ABS was printed at 270°C) so I had to disassemble the extruder. Later I switched from ABS via PLA to TPU without problems (meanwhile the SV07 printed the TPU-stuff I needed in the first place perfectly. With 3 mm³/s flow rate - guess I could lay the layers down by hand at least with the same speed ;-))

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply but I am not the author of this topic, I am only participating in it.
As a reminder it was @spshoelab who initiated this topic.

2 Likes

When you want to change the type of filament, you must, between the 2, use cleaning filament. It’s very effective.

2 Likes

It will be a year for me with my son-in-law buying me a SV06 and a long learning curve. This forum helped me to learn, what to anticipate and how to sharpen my skills.
My first discovery would remain hidden for several months, then finding a soldered connection to Hot End allow filament to cover the Extruder. Sovol sent replacements parts to rebuild the Extruder and ordered a complete replacement from Sovol Amazon.
Other issues will be part of your learning curve. For me it was learning to wipe down hot plate with 90% alcohol, using a carpenter square to align Z-rails, using Cura’s Tests on any new filament and then adjusting set up in Cura.

1 Like

WOW! I have no idea where to start with you. This is a forum for people to come here for help, not to be pushed off a cliff and kill their confidence. But I will start with your addressing OP… The first red flag was addressing her as OP then (that’s you Sarah) was about as sexist as you can be, but you didn’t stop there~ No, you had to throw in a few more pepper sprays of doubt with: Calling her a poster child, telling her it’s not the same as operating a stove, telling her she bought crap when you don’t know ANYTHING about her, who she is or income level. Not only that you continue to brow beat her with more comments: wisely give up? Spend 2-4K on a new one? You are a despicable person, sexist, racist, male chauvinist who has no respect for others. Assuming because she is a woman she doesn’t know what she’s doing, you are not serving anyone any good with your ghetto comments and “stay in the kitchen honey” attitude. Sovol doesn’t sell high end machines, they sell affordable printers that serve many well for years. If this were a high end product forum, selling printers above the hobbyist level I could understand, but you are way way off the chart with your attitude.

1 Like

@mtallport1 very well said.

I wish the haters out there would understand, more people involved the better this hobby would be, and the only way to learn is help from a good community.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah,
I understand what you’re going thru, I’m dealing with under extrusion in sv04 left extruder.

These are suggestions because extruder issues can happen for lots of different reasons.

I’ve not worked with TPU mostly pla.
Make sure the heat block is snug (no gaps) and screws are tight including the nozzle. If you replace the Teflon tube make sure it’s flush with the metal tube.

There’s lots of info from reputable sites about under extrusion. But they go for the major reasons and perhaps not specific to your printer. Even if you don’t use Simplify 3d, they have good info.

For instance parts wear out, the large black gear could be worn out or full of filament particles that need to be brushed off/cleaned out between the metal gear.

Make sure the temp is high enough to remove the metal tube which shouldn’t be hard. There is a very small screw or two holding it on place.

You will learn as problems arise and you can fix them.

Good luck, hope this helps.
eddawned

2 Likes

Hey Bjoern,

Thanks a lot for sharing your idea.
I tried up to 190 following the sovol instruction video

and I tried 235’C after seeing your comment but it didn’t work. I’m unsure if I’m using the wrong plier… or missed something.