Mayor crash after many flawless prints

Tonight I started a print like I would normally do from orcaslicer.
After about an hour I went to check the camera from my phone and had the shock of my life: there was terror in every image. The print head was dragging around blobs of molten plastic together with the detached extruder case along the printbed.
I quickly stopped the printer and ran upstairs.

This is what I found

After examining the whole thing I think the nozzle got pushed out of the hotend, and from there it started scraping the pei plate and the magnetic base until it eventually was bent in such a way it cleared the bed and the nozzle could come out completely.

I hope this will be the last time I see such a battlefield with any of my printers, and I am glad I was in time to prevent even worse.

Has anyone ever had this happen ?
How can this happen and how can we prevent this @sovol ?

1 Like

I normally check the start of every print, either physically or via the camera. Doesn’t everybody do this?

1 Like

Yes I do, as you can see from the build plate the print started as it should for the first layer.

The reason the skirt is engraved in the build plate is that I increased the slicer skirt height in 2 loops for easier removal after the print has finished.
It looks like somewhere between layer 1 and 2 things went bad.

1 Like

This morning I found out I’m not the only one who had this happen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXrUKyc6fc

I have contacted Sovol support for this

2 Likes

Unfortunately this has been a known issue for months. Was this petg you were printing with? Sovol will get you taken care of, but if you have anymore stock nozzles I’d set them aside. If you have access to a drill press, there is a template on printables that shows you where to drill the original nozzles for a roll pin (like the updated nozzles) to prevent this from happening.

I indeed mainly print petg.

Thanks for the tip, I will update the spare I have left and I will also perform this operation on the second one I ordered for our makerspace.

Sovol Support reacted promptly, I’m awaiting replacement parts.
Tonight I will modify my spare nozzle and the nozzles from the second printer on my mill and using roll pins. I will post pictures of that when finished.

Modified all 3 nozzles with roll pins yesterday.

1 Like