Getting my SV04 working

Hi Everyone,

I’m pretty new to the 3D printing world. I’ve never owned one before but I have a friend who does and have been living vicariously through him until now. I received my SV04, and set it up. I have leveled the bed, set the Z height so the paper gets scratched in all 4 quadrants. I’ve not only followed the paper manual that came with it, but confirmed using the latest PDF version on the site and following a Sovol fan on YouTube. Everything looks okay, but I can’t get my filament to stick. So when trying to print something, like say the mirrored cube, I just get a ball of string.

Can someone tell me where I’m going wrong?

I’ve got to say, that as quickly as it came together, this is a great design! I have a fair bit of mechanical understanding, so it was really easy. But the design is so good, my 11 year old could have done it for me. Nicely done Sovol.

Hi Forge,
congratulations - there are just a hundred reasons left why it does not work as supposed…
The most propable ones:

• did you clean your printbed with alcohol or isopropanol thoroughly?
  • did you save the Z-offset after leveling?
  • did level the bed automatically & saved afterwards?
  • did you check that the settings for nozzle & bed temperature fit for the filament used?
  • did you calibrate extrusion on both extruders & saved afterwards?
  • did you try a complete bed printing test e.g. “Bed_level_test.stl” from the SD-card?
  • did check your slicer settings for any unwanted offsets?
  • did you try the same print with an other slicer?
  • did you run PID tuning for both extruders + hotbed & saved afterwards?

If nothing of the above worked, you may want to try the following G-Code manually via direct USB-connection to the Pronterface software. It should make the left extrude to draw a big line of PLA filament to the left side of the print bed. You may want to retry it on X150 + X295 positions. If all of them work, then you should completely reset your slicer settings.

M140 S65 ; Set heat bed temperature 65 degrees celsius
M104 S215 T0 ; nozzle 0 heatup
M109 S215 T0 ; wait for nozzle 0 heatup
M190 S65 ; Wait for Heat Bed temperature
T0
G28 ; Home all axes
M83 ; set extrusion to relative
M420 L0 S1 Z2; Load the bed mesh
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
G1 Z5.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
G1 X5 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
G1 X5 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
G1 X5.3 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
G1 X5.3 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
G1 X5.6 Y20 Z5.0 F2400.0 E-0.2 ; Move over to prevent blob squish & wipe
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

/R
Bjoern

1 Like

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for this list! I’ll keep it close by as I move ahead. I decided to take a chance, that perhaps the 60 degree’s I set my bed head to wasn’t enough and so I jumped it to 75 degrees and its been working really good since then! But I’m new to so much, that your information will be really helpful going forward.

I can already say that I need to do step 1, (step 4 was my solution). I didn’t think to clean the bed. I didn’t see that in the instructions.

Thanks gain!

So it seems to be adhering to the board okay since I’ve messed with the temps, but now I’m noticing something that I’m not sure is normal or not. When I set the temps as follows:

Nozzel 1: 200
Nozzel 2: 200
Bed: 75

Randomly during the print the set numbers begin to lower on their own.

Nozzel 1: 190
Nozzel 2: 175
Bed: 60

These aren’t the current temp numbers on the left of the screen, but they are the target temps on the right. Are they supposed to lower on their own?

Oh and I’ve been fighting with the Dual Fox print for some time now. The Mirrored Cubes worked great, but the real learning curve has been in the Fox. The thing ran for an hour and then it caught the print job and moved the whole thing out of alignment. Kind of sucked, but I guess that’s part of the alignment process.

Hi again,
if you’re printing out the “Dual_blinkfox_PLA.gcode” example from the SD-Card then it is working exactly as G-coded. It is a feature called “anti-oozing” in PrusaSlicer: The lowered temperature should keep the inactive extruder from dripping filament.

/R
Bjoern