General thoughts on the SV07

Hi,

Here are some thoughts on the SV07.

The SV07 is not my first 3d printer, I have used 3d printers for many years both in the local Hackspace, and I also have other printers. It is the first 3d printer I have with the Klipper firmware and some other advanced features.

Hardware:

• General construction is very good; the machine is very sturdy, the feet are excellent. The axes run well.
  • Assembly was easy and it all worked, the only problem I had was thinking it was faulty because it starts up completely silent
  • The extruder works really well, but from what I’ve seen, disassembling/ reassembling the extruder is complicated and I really hope I don’t have to.
  • Cable management is generally poor and the main cable to the print head flops all over the place and can get caught on other things. I’ve 3d printed a bracket which improves the situation slightly.
  • The touchscreen is generally nice, although it gets quite warm to touch and I’m worried about it overheating in some conditions

Software / firmware

• Klipper is very good, but the setup of the firmware feels sloppy and rushed
  • Default security on the Linux install is poor - three ssh accounts with default passwords (one of which is only known to Sovol)
  • Power off suspend / resume did not appear to work - although it tried, it slammed the print head into the partially completed part.

Performance

• Speed is generally excellent, but I have found better results by reducing the max volumetric flow rate
  • Print quality is acceptable - I have installed a 0.6mm hardened nozzle which makes print quality worse ( but allows higher layers and improves some materials maybe)
  • Heaters / fans seem very good - although the rear fan is very loud on high settings (I like to run it <50%)
  • The print bed material is nice

General design

• The cowling is a bit large and makes it difficult to inspect the first layers of small objects
  • The spool holder bearings run too freely which can make the filament unwind and tangle maybe
  • It is difficult to load very flexible filaments through the runout sensor (works well enough for PLA / PETG)