Terrible blobs and strings left on sides of prints

Anyone know whats causing this?

Hello,
Have you calibrated all the settings of your printer, filament included ?
It seems the temperature is too high.

Honestly I’ve spent days trying to nail it down. It’s just the pla that came with it, 200c? That shouldn’t be causing this kind of thing. I feel like this is a slicer setting, but Cura has a billion hidden settings and I can’t figure out which one. I’m using the 5.0 that Sovol ships.

I’m at total loss with this printer, I just cannot consistently get half decent results without something like this happening.

Are you sure your filament is dry?
Otherwise, put it in the oven at 60° for at least 4 hours.

Yeah, I don’t think its filament related. That stuff should be decently dry.

It only happens from Extruder 1 (Left), and it seems mostly to be on the left and south side of prints. I’ve been relentlessly fiddling with cura settings here and there and it seems to be a problem with retraction. Messing around with that I have a cube that’s vastly better, with only a few little bits on the edge. Its not “good” yet, but I’m slowly going in the right direction.

How does anyone use this printer? It’s so incredibly fussy, I’ve owned it for a while now and have yet to produce anything with it except mostly failed attempts to get it printing decently.

It seems that you should better get rid of your current slicer profiles & restart from scratch by using Sovol’s slicer settings & by doing the complete calibration process again.

The SV04 offers a huge lot of options to turn thoughts into matter, however, you need to know what you’re doing. A good starting point is to learn the basic functions of your slicer.

Well actually that’s exactly what I’ve done

OK, did your calibration process include:

• bed levelling
  • nozzle alingment
  • extrusion calibration
  • PID tuning for bed and print heads
  • finding out optimized settings for the current filament (print temperature / line width / flow & retraction)?
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • No
  • No
  • Yes

That said, further testing with various z-hop and retraction tweaks have gotten me an ok cube.

There are lots better test objects available than the test cube you showed above. I prefer that hollow pyramid to ensure optimized filament settings.

You can also try with the slicer IdeaMaker which gives you a webtool to calibrate your printer at this address :

Btw, I love this slicer.

I recommend turning on the “Ooze Shield” and setting the distance to 3 mm. It will protect your print from collecting ooze when the printer switches between hotends. Also make sure “z-hop” is enabled.