"No trigger on probe after full movement" when running "Calibrate Zoffset"

Hello. I’m trying to set up my SV08, but when I try to run the “Calibrate Zoffset” routine it fails before it begins.

What seems to happen is that that nozzle goes down too low (to -0.5mm z, which I don’t know is normal or not), such that the heat shield on the extruder gets pushed up a bit. When I look at the console it says “No trigger on probe after full movement” for three lines in a row.

Can someone please help me solve this?
Thanks!

1 Like

Try this

Hello. Thank you for your response. I tried tuning the Z Offset as shown, but no matter how high I set the Z Offset it lowers too far after the diagonal movement to the upper-left corner at the beginning of the test.

Is there any more information I can provide that might help solve or diagnose this issue?

Have you run the auto bed levelling first ?

That routine is for fine tuning after the auto bed levelling.

The hotend hitting the bed is an indicator of the Z offset being too high. The offset should usually be a negative number i.e. -0.25. The bigger the number the lower the z axis will travel as the software has been told there is a greater distance between the probe and the nozzle. An offset of minus 0.25 will cause the Z axis to move 0.25mm more after the probe has triggered. -0.5 will cause the Z to move down 0.5mm after the probe triggers.

If the offset that has been saved is bigger than the max offset then the probe may not trigger at all as the z cannot physically travel far enough

I’m ashamed to say the reason was because I accidentally mixed up the wire connections for the x-axis motor and the y-axis motor. I swapped them, ran a macro that happened to move the bed around a bit (it might have been the “clean nozzle” one, but I don’t remember), and then it worked fine! Sorry, I’m new to 3D printing.

Thanks for your response!

2 Likes

But which way to turn the Knob; and IMPOSSIBLE to see the disks while printing; shroud on extruder covers it over

Turning it so the number goes up makes the extruder go up, and vice-versa. If I recall correctly that’s clockwise. Just be careful when turning it down. If you do it too much there’s no mechanism to prevent the hotend from scraping against the bed. Ask me how I know. :sweat:

The manual says to judge by a finished disc rather than trying to watch the result as it is printing a disc. So, for each of the first four discs you get a chance to adjust the Z-offset.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Yes; take care turning the knob ant-clockwise this moves the nozzle closer to the bed and even below it, scrapes the bed surface. Damage to the texture build surface

SOVOL SV08 How level is the heat bed??

Epilepsy warning, bright flashing lights in this video

Heightmap and printer.cfg

Inductive probes are notorious for drift

Sovol say use a 30 minute heat soak for larger 3D prints because they area aware that the heat bed can distort. A heat soak does appear to fix the issue but this takes an extra 30 minutes on each larger print. Only advised on lager, above 300 x 300 prints