Build Plate Adhesion

Hi,

I’m getting adhesion problems on my SOVOL SV07 Plus as can be seen in the following image and video. Apologies for not simply uploading, it appears I’m too new to the forum to upload images or indeed to post more than two links.

Nonstick Prints #1
Nonstick Prints Video

Outside of the MCU/ADC errors that are now seemingly solved, the only real change I can think of is that I changed the extruder for a steel one.

I’ve washed the metal bed plate (even put it in the dishwasher hoping that would clean it better), used some isopropyl alcohol (should be 99% pure but has been sitting around in a spray bottle for a while so could have absorbed some moisture) and other things but I can’t seem to get the prints to stick.

Any other advice on how I can improve adhesion?

I’m wondering if I should buy a new build plate… if that’s a good way forward, any advice on that?

James

Did you redo the first layer calibration after changing the nozzle? You don’t write about so I we don’t know if you did.

also - a steel nozzle has different thermal properties than the regular nozzle, this might affect the printing temperature.

I have now and it’s printing much better, thanks :slight_smile:

OK, thanks. Do you think that might be what is causing the largish blobs I’m getting?

James

Hello,
Before changing plate, you can put glue on it before printing

Sometimes I use a dilute solution of PVA.

James

No, I was talking about glue stick or 3Dlac (it’s lile an hairspray).

I use Elmer’s Purple.

That picture looks like a layer shift to me.
Also, don’t use a Raft…use a Brim instead.

I think you’re right as, having printed off a simple STL of my design yesterday, printed several times, the first was massively layer shifted but I finally got the printer adjusted so it printed well.

For some things, rafts seem essential but I find removing them from the print difficult… I think my rafts are too “stuck on” and assume there are ways to make them less so. If you’ve got any tips or tricks for making rafts easier to remove, I’d love to hear them.

I’ll be honest, I don’t get brims … it’s just a line of filament around the outside of the print area, right? How does that help a print?

James

Brims & Rafts are mainly used to help hold a print to the plate. If your printing parts that don’t have a lot of surface area on the plate to help it stick.

EX. Say you were printing a round ink pen, not much of the surface would be touching the plate.
So most likely it would break loose during printing. This is when you would use a Brim or a Raft to help hold it down. A Brim adding flat lines kinda like wings to hold the pen to the plate. Plastic like to stick to plastic, that’s why some user prefer a Raft.
If you were printing a box, you wouldn’t need either as the box has enough flat surface toouching the plate.

Thanks. I think I got skirts and brims mixed up but yeah, that makes sense.

James

I forgot some things in my EX above.
The Brim attaches the model to the plate.
The Raft attaches to the Plate & the Model attaches to the Raft.
Also, the Raft uses a lot more filament & will add time to the print…
where as the Brim uses a lot less & most times wont add any time to the print, if it does, it’s usually just a few min.