40 W Laser Kit And SV04 Install Questions

I hope I can get some direction on questions I have about the 40W laser kit for the SV04 printer. I used this Youtube video as a guide:

How to Install the 5W Output 40W Input Laser Module on Sovol SV04 IDEX…

The bracket for the SV04 install on the laser, itself, doesn’t seem to line up. I can use one screw, but not a second one. Did I get the correct bracket? The mounting brackets broke - Would an STL of both parts of the bracket be available and I can reprint these parts?

If I understand the video correctly, the power connector can be inserted in KFAN1 or KFAN2. I am hoping to leave the fan for the extruder plugged into KFAN1 and keep the laser power cable plugged into KFAN2 all the time - even when 3D printing, but M106 seems to only power KFAN1. Might there be another M code to power KFAN2?

Thanks.

Hi,
I know this thread is kind of old, but have you resolved this issue? Trying to get my laser working as well. :confused:
My holder broke, too. created my own STL to replace it.

Cheers.

Hey there,
I also created a replacement holder and started modifying a post processor to produce the gcode which works, but need to back on it. Maybe this will be my next project…

I got my laser to work when I connected it to K-FAN1 on the board for the left extruder. It stays off when connected to K-FAN2. I assumed, but was obviously wrong, that K-FAN1 and 2 connectors are on the same circuit…
It took me a couple of tries to find a setting that doesn’t totally char the wood when it’s supposed to only engrave. Will need to continue experimenting to find the right speed and duty cycle settings for engraving. Even a 2% duty cycle makes a pretty powerful laser beam, it seems. I did not expect that. :smiley:
By the way, I am using the laserweb software under Ubuntu to create the gcode.
I am new to all of this. What’s that post processor thing for?

I will have to look into laserweb. I am still working with SheetCAM as I already have a license for it and it can work with custom post processors which basically writes the gcode for the intended machine. Right now, I can rewrite the X and Y origin so I can offset the laser mount distance to better match the printer bed’s position.

I haven’t went much further at the moment other than cutting out a few rabbit silhouttes :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m still playing with speeds depending on material and material thickness.