Sovol SV04 Single Print 02 not working

Sovol SV04 firmware 1.1.4, Cura 5.7.2 (Mac)

When trying to access the right extruder in “Single Print 02” mode the printer stills uses the left extruder. I have read the posts in this forum and modified the gcode-file according to Bjoerns instructions but nothing helps.

In Cura there is not single-print alternative for the right extruder, the left extruder is chosen by default. Where in the gcode-file is this choice documented? And how would I have to change the code for single-print in Cura (in “Settings”) to change the choice of extruder?

Any help is appreciated.

Hi & welcome to the forum!
The Marlin firmware documentation can be found on their homepage. G-Code is documented here.
Not being a Cura user I assume there should be SV04 profiles for each print mode available.

In order to ensure that your code is processed by the right extruder you could open your gcode-file with a text-editor & search for tool-selection instructions and change all lines of code beginning with T0 into T1.
/R
Björn

Hi Bjoern,

thanks for the assistance. I have done programming but am new to G-code. Looking at the .gcode files I found that Cura puts the commands for choosing extruder BEFORE the “Start G-code” block, and there seems to be no way to access this code in Cura (at least I did not find any possibility). Instead, I can choose which extruder to use in the menu, by choosing 2 extruders for “Single Mode 2” and then de-activating the first one. Not exactly intuitive, but it does the job.

Problem solved - thank you!

Maybe this is the wrong place for a question like this, but anyways: are there other slicers that work better with the SV04, i.e. are more refined? For example I noticed the extruders bumping into each other at the end of Dual Mode. Or are glitches like this a firmware issue?

BR
Ekkehard

Hello Ekkehard,
there are lots of different slicers available, therefore I try to avoid discussions about pros’s & con’s of slicers - it is comparable to flavors. My favorite slicer flavor is PrusaSlicer

Bumping extruders in Dual Mode might be a “feature” of Sovol’s stock firmware. Sovol did not release the sources of their Version v1.1.4, but in v1.1.0 there is a bug that activates the left extruder when the end of the print file is reached - this can cause severe problems with the rest of instructions in the command queue…
/R
Björn

Hi Björn,

I agree, we should keep the “which-is-the-best-slicer” outside of this forum. It just appears that the SV04 profiles in Cura aren’t very well developed (which may be OK for private use but could possibly create a disaster for professionals). Coming from the automotive industry I am amazed that bugs like extruders bumping into each other aren’t resolved immediately. I will check out the Prusa slicer.

BR
Ekkehard

Hi Ekkehard,
actually I have no idea what is under the hood in Sovol’s stock firmware releases since release v1.1.0, because they did not publish their sources, so far. I assume they try to avoid putting effort in printers that already have been sold & focus on bringing new models to the market…
Anyhow, the end-of-file bug in dual mode has been fixed in my firmware version that is available in my GitHub repository.
/R
Björn