Straightforward Review/Comparison about the M1D

I find this channel quite useful for direct no glamor information about 3D printers. They posted a nice Sponsored review of the M1D, helped answer a few questions about bed size, print speeds, extruder behaviors, etc.

Cheers,
-Mike

Aurora Tech is my favorite reviewer. The biggest reason is that they use consistent, meaningful testing methodology. They only go off-script for things unique to a specific printer.

The test results on the M1D pretty much came out how I expected. Overall, solid quality, excellent value for the dollar compared to Prusa/Bambu. Though the accuracy testing being a perfect score was a nice surprise, and very welcome from my point of view, since I do more functional than decorative prints.

The bit on the filament profiles being dodgy is also exactly spot-on from my experience. Sovol is really, really bad at providing quality, comprehensive profiles. The SV Zero didn’t even have machine profiles at all for any nozzle size except 0.4, let alone good filament profiles. The hardware is good though, and I’ve learned to write my own profiles.

@msheldon Completely agree, one of my favorite channels as well. IMO the M1D did well in general, and same feeling about the dodgy profiles. It was a bit of a jaw drop when they showed the print results from the stock profiles, Sovol did mention in the comments they are taking the feedback mentioned in the video and cleaning things up for the M1D.

On a side note, being new to the 3D printing world, I struggled with my Sovol Zero profiles initially, great hard knock, hands on learning lessons for sure :face_with_head_bandage: and at least I now understand, “kind of”, the area to go looking in. :melting_face: I finally ended up using @jbob Sovol Zero profiles and continued tuning them based on comments and feedback as I saw posts from the form.

Cheers, :tumbler_glass:
-Mike

I watched Aurora’s M1D review when it posted. I like her reviews because they focus on issues that matter to people buying a printer and as @msheldon already mentioned, Aurora has standard test prints that allow good comparisons between competing printers. Gergo and Lost In Tech had good M1D videos too. I particularly liked that Lost In Tech demonstrated the M1D for interesting functional prints when everyone else seemed to be focusing on multi-color printing.

I was pleasantly surprised to see perfect print accuracy. I expected good accuracy but not perfect. I wasn’t surprised to see the M1D shipping to Aurora without good print profiles. In fairness, this was a pre-release printer and Sovol is still tweaking the machine before delivery. The Kickstarter hasn’t quite ended yet. However, Sovol has a long history of shipping good printers without good filament profiles for their entire life and despite me often publicly suggesting that Sovol should hire a person whose exclusive job is creating GOOD profiles (OK, maybe also updating macros and other Klipper stuff) and that would pay huge dividends in customer satisfaction, reduced returns, repeat sales, and faster growing market share, my suggestions have fallen on deaf ears. I even tried to rally folks on this forum to crowd source good profiles and later versions of OrcaSlicer make that easier to do, but alas, no.

I’m not planning on buying an M1D because it’s not a great fit for the functional prints I do, but there is a lot to like and I think the M1D will be a great printer for a large segment of the market. I’m still planning on BondTech INDX upgrades for probably one of my Zero printers and possibly the SV08. I don’t need the 6+1 capability of the M1D but I’d like to leave the 3-4 filaments I commonly use loaded so I don’t need to swap filaments before printing a part.

Hopefully, before shipping the M1D, they’ll change the graphic on the front of the build plate to say “BUILD” instead of “BIULD”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hopefully, before shipping the M1D, they’ll change the graphic on the front of the build plate to say “BUILD” instead of “BIULD”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:person_facepalming:t2:

I remembered incorrectly. It actually says BULID.

Better than my Cantonese!

The BULID is 31 seconds into the linked video but the entire video shows good examples of multi-filament functional prints on the M1D.